Monday, February 1, 2010

Back to Edinburgh

This morning I packed up my stuff and left Eva's at about 9. I got to Westminster Abbey just before it opened at 9:30 which was great because there weren't too many people there. Apparently it can get so crowded on some days that you can barely move. What an amazing place! It is such a beautiful building, and I didn't know so many famous people are buried there: all the major kings and queens of England, Robert Burns, Geoffrey Chaucer, Charles Dickens, David Livingstone, Jane Austen, and Rudyard Kipling to name just a very few. I really wish I could have taken pictures in there. It was cool seeing the coronation chair, which has been used in the coronations of every British monarch since 1308. Amazing! There was a free audio tour (narrated by Jeremy Irons) included in the ticket price (12 pounds, yikes) so that was neat.

That took about an hour and a half so I hopped on the tube to go to the place where the bus to the airport was supposed to pick me up. I had a scare when I got to the stop, saw the bus pull up, waited at the door to get on, then saw it drive off without me... I thought maybe I should have said something or been more proactive or something, but too late. I was about to call the company to ask when the next bus was coming but a lady saw me with my ticket and said that the bus to the airport was on the other side of the road (the one where I was standing just dropped people off from the airport). So I crossed the road and the bus came 5 minutes later. Phew.

I got to the airport about an hour and a half early so I just got lunch at Pret and browsed through the shops. It was a quick one hour flight and I was on the bus on my way to the city less than 5 minutes after landing at the Edinburgh Airport! Awesome! It only took about 35 minutes from getting off the plane to getting to my flat.

I went grocery shopping and unpacked when I got back, and since then have been uploading pictures and getting organized for tomorrow. I decided no to go to small group because I'm exhausted and I need to get more stuff done. I'm excited to sleep on a bed instead of the floor tonight! It was a great weekend though, and I can't wait for Spain in a few weeks!

I'm not going to take the time to post pictures on this blog, but I put some on my facebook. Again, if you don't have access to my facebook and you want to see pictures, just let me know. Here are a few videos from the weekend though:

Approaching Stonehenge:

The Tower of London:

Tomorrow is class 10-1 and 3-4, then riding 5-8:30ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment