Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Norway Day 3

Dinner last night was great, lots of people came. It was Tante Synnove, Tønnes, Sif, Gunner, Jorun, Tordis, Olav, Torsvane (and wife whose name I cant remember), Tante Ingborg, and me. We had a fantastic meal (of course), fantastic desserts (of course), and great conversation. It was fun meeting everyone (or seeing some people again). After dinner I went to Tordis' house and we looked at the family geneology which was helpful, then Olav and I watched an American movie which was refreshing.

This morning I had breakfast with Sif and Tønnes, then I went upstairs to talk with Tante Synnove for a while. We looked at photo albums which was really helpful for placing everyone.

Then Gunner came to pick me up and we went back to their house (the old farmhouse) where we (Gunner, Jorun, Tante Ingborg and I) had delicious apple pie made by Jorun. I got a tour of the house which was really fun because my grandmother (and great grandmother?) were born there, and the family has been living there for generations. Gunner is restoring it and it's going to look great.

Then all four of us got in the car for a day of driving around Farsund (and a bit of Lyngdal). Along the way they pointed out all the old family houses and lands, which was pretty cool to see.

Our first stop was at Farmvaren, a big fjord where the water doesn't move so it's really unique, and a lot of research is being done there. We hiked around a bit and saw fantastic scenery. It's just so beautiful around here! We hiked along the old road which goes right along the edge of the cliff. It's incredible to think how old the road is.

Hiking around Farmvaren:



Then we drove west past the resevoir lakes, and then north along Åptafjorden I think. There was a great view point from the top of a mountain with lovely views of Farsund.


Then we drove north until we could get around the fjords (by Åpta and Drange), stopping by all the family's houses along the way. Eventually we ended up in Mandal for dinner. It's a really pretty town, and the sun had come out by then so the weather was just beautiful. We went to a really nice restaurant that was right on the water, and we all got fish soup and the fish of the day. Delicious.

Mandal harbor:

Then we drove back to Tante Ingborg's house for coffee and dessert. I've eaten so much food the last couple days...

So yeah it was a great day! We saw a lot of stuff that I didn't say specifically because I can't possibly remember all the houses and lands. We saw Otto's old family house, the old radio station where Gunnar worked- so much more. I don't remember specifically.

Tomorrow Gunnar, Joren, and Ingborg are driving me down to Kristiansand where Gunnar and I are going to meet Elbjorg and someone else I think for lunch (Joren and Ingborg are going shopping), then Gunnar is dropping me off at the bus station. I'm taking a bus back to near Torp, where Gundstein is picking me up. We're going to get dinner then he is going to take me to the Torp airport, where I'm getting a flight back to Edinburgh. So hopefully the next blog I write will be sent from my own computer in Edinburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment