Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Prague- Day 3

Videos from the hike yesterday are at the end of this post.

It was another beautiful day in Prague. I've really been lucky with weather; it's so nice to be able to walk around without a jacket!

This morning was nice. I finished up the last couple things I wanted to do, including the Jewish quarter, going to the top of Old Town Hall for an awesome view of the city, going in to 2 churches (St. Nicholas in Old Town and Church of Our Lady before Tyn), both beautiful, and walking around taking pictures. I bought some roasted almonds for my stroll, so it was a great morning.

The Jewish Quarter has a couple synagogues and museums which I went into, but I'd say the highlight is the Jewish Cemetery. Back in the day the Jewish Quarter was a Jewish ghetto, and there was only a small plot of land to bury the dead. This resulted in layers and layers of bodies, in some places 12 deep, with all the headstones wedged in together. Pretty amazing.

Jewish Cemetery:


The synagogues were incredible too, but I couldn't take pictures of those.

I really liked the view from the Old Town Hall tower. Here are a few pictures from that.

Easter markets in Old Town Square:



After that I decided to do laundry because I ran out of clean clothes a while ago. There was a guy at the laundromat and we talked for a good half hour. He's American, from Miami, probably in his mid-40s, and he's had a pretty interesting life. He was a lawyer for like 15 years, and for part of that time he worked with big name bands. After that he switched to teaching law, then switched to teaching law online, so he can live wherever he wants. He visited Prague 3 years ago and decided to move here. I can easily see how that would happen, it is such an awesome city. So it was nice talking for awhile.

Now I'm going to wander around the city for about an hour, then catch a bus to Budapest! I heard it's a lot like Prague so I'm really excited.

Videos from yesterday's hike:





No comments:

Post a Comment